| __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:58 am

Good beginner set-up 

Post Good beginner set-up
Hi,

first of all... sorry for asking this question, it has probably been asked for a thousand times :) But I'd really appreciate you guy's opinion here.
Anyways, after hesitating for a very long time I've finally descided to buy a dj set with a friend of mine. We' ve been looking around for some time now and have found this:

2 x Akiyama DJ-4000 Acura - 2 x Ortofon OM Pro
Behringer VMX-300

My guess is that the TT's are a good buy, but I'm not sure about the mixer. I'd be very glad if you guys could help us out here desciding what would be a good starter mixer. As a complete beginner I don't think I need top quality gear like Technics and Ecler or Rodec or whatsoever.

So I'm just looking for a descent set to start of with actually.

Thanks for your time,
Jap

Wed May 30, 2007 1:45 am

i started with a JB system. It's cheap, not really that sound, but good enough to start with.

Wed May 30, 2007 10:09 am
Senior

Post Re: Good beginner set-up
jap wrote:
As a complete beginner I don't think I need top quality gear like Technics and Ecler

Well I started off with technics and ecler and i must say i have not regretted it... In my experience you should invest that extra bit of money for dj gear because at a long term it will pay off (fe if you pay 100€ for a mixer and something goes wrong after only one year...)

what about trying to get decks second hand...

those are my 2 cents

Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 am

I'm not really second hand mindend... I have no idea what the "critereas" are to check if a TT or mixer is still in good condition or not :s

Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 am
Senior

well I am, I would always buy a car second hand fe, but now we are going off topic

i guess you should just check the torque (just see how fast it picks up the right speed from zero, if this is faster then 1 second it's ok), check the tone arm and condition of the needles, etc etc

good luck man

Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 am

i guess you should just check the torque (just see how fast it picks up the right speed from zero, if this is faster then 1 second it's ok), check the tone arm and condition of the needles, etc etc
good luck man

Thanks, I will keep this in mind

Wed May 30, 2007 11:14 am

I don't know about the akiyama turntables ( i guess they are okay), but I wouldn't recommand you the behringer mixer.
I have been thinking about buying one half a year ago, all the options for that price sounds really tempting, but I played with it a time ago... and damn it really isn't any good.

a good startup mixer ( to my experience) is an akiyama mixer.

Wed May 30, 2007 11:17 am
Senior

second running order: imo, it's better to save up a bit and buy decent equipment, it'll last you longer and it's so much more fun playing on good equipment.

Second hand technics tt's are still very ok in most cases, cause they really are built to last. Btw, when buying second hand tt's, the first thing i'd check would be the needles.

Good luck!

22/02: Blacklight Party @ JOC Ieper
23/02: Future Dynamics 2 @ 't Sas, Harelbeke
11/05: Change The DJ-stage @ Mano Mundo, De Schorre, Boom

Wed May 30, 2007 11:42 am
Junior

imo you can best start with second hand decks, this way you can first try if mixing records is really u'r cup of tea without spending a lot of money. Once you decide you wan't to take it to the next level you can still upgrade u'r equipment and invest in the good (& expensive) stuff

A friend & I started with a free JB Systems Disco 2000 and a Reloop RP-2000MK2 bought from eBay for about 80€ shipment incl. It was good enough to start with, learn the basics etc.
After about a year The Disco 2000 has been replaced by a Technics SL1200MK2 (bougt second hand for 325€, mint condition)
Looking for a second Technics now, but there's no hurry because the Reloop still does the job, and I'm very satisfied with it considering how much I paid for it.

Wed May 30, 2007 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for a descent second hand mixer and TT's.

Man I can't wait to put that needle on (my own records) for the first time xD

Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm
www.drumnbass.be

Post Re: Good beginner set-up
RunningOrder wrote:
jap wrote:
As a complete beginner I don't think I need top quality gear like Technics and Ecler

Well I started off with technics and ecler and i must say i have not regretted it... In my experience you should invest that extra bit of money for dj gear because at a long term it will pay off (fe if you pay 100€ for a mixer and something goes wrong after only one year...)

what about trying to get decks second hand...

those are my 2 cents

absolutely, i started off with one jbsystems deck, and one technics, i had the jb at a reaaaally good price so that was kinda obvious, but it didn't take long before i got the second MKII,
a crappy mixer i still have, that really needs changin was also a behringer
it's the only thing i bought and will ever buy from behringer apart from a guitar tuner (don't know any tuners that tune false haha so nothing wrong with a cheap one).
so if you decide to go for a cheaper mixer, go for gemini, stanton, rodec's mixbox is supersturdy,
but if you can bring it up for yourself, save up for those technics !! you'll end up spending way less money than you would anyways if you decide to "maybe" buy them later, which 8 out of 10 you'll probably wanna do after a while

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. ~Mark Twain"

"Life is merely a dream - and not worth living unless you're living beyond your means. Well beyond your means ~some dodgy facebook app"

m.a.r.v.e.l.
Mailman's Advantageously Recorders Violinist's Exuding Looking

Thu May 31, 2007 11:24 am
Senior

as said before TECHNICS are built to last, so buying them second hand is a very good move!

Most of the people don't know this but the most important thing on a Technics TT is the magnet that is attached to the platter. After checking the obvious things like start-stop button, pitch sensitivity and accuracy ( no freaky pitchswichtes while pushing the pitch fader up or down), tone-arm etc. Then you should take of the slipmat, put your thumbs into the 2 wholes in the platter and pull the platter up ( it may be resistant a bit, don't let this scare you , just pull :) ). Under the platter you'll see the magnet { big circle in the middle} . This magnet needs to be as intact as possible, so NO big scratches, NO dents, NO little chips of magnet ... If this magnet isn't in good condition you TT will have a irregular playspeed...

good luck !

THE LAB NYE COMING! : 2 ROOMS !!

www.mentallab.com

Thu May 31, 2007 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Junior

Hi, i'm the other guy Jap is buying the stuff with.

When I was reading some reviews and articles about the akiyama tables, i saw nothing then good things, most of the time ppl saying that they were even better and more fun then Technics SL mk2. I used to have 2 pairs of Technics mk2 and they were solid as a rock indeed, but i'm a bit reluctant to buy them second hand.

As for the mixer, i'm totally not aware of what to buy :( I used to have a behringer one, and indeed it wasn't very sturdy so I guess that's no option. Could someone suggest a beginner DnB mixer for this. I guess our budget for this would be around €200?

Thu May 31, 2007 12:16 pm
Future Sickness

"SYNQ" 's also pretty good 've been told ... & the prices aren't that high @ all for the capabilities of the mixers they make

& for a good service & low prices you defo should check out

www.musicstore.de

(cheaper than in any other region in europe + when you order it you'll receive it like 3-4 days after so that's great imo + the custommers-service is real good to bro)

edit: this one 's great too imo... : http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSH ... =OfferList
(i believe kaytodad has this one or a version of it duno for sure... it works great :D )

Thu May 31, 2007 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
StarDust Kru

I also went for the technics right away. I bought them second hand at 350 each and they are still in mint condition.

If you really want to DJ, then I suggest you buy technics. Because if you are going to buy jb or any other cheap crap, you will eventually want technics
I'm 100% sure about that.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:59 pm