| __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:45 am

Traktor Vinyl preamp? 
Junior

Post Traktor Vinyl preamp?
So I just bought myself 2 x JB Systems HQ 30 and I was planning to use these with Traktor scratch Duo but I just encountered the problem that the mixer I still have now (A Numark M1a http://www.agiprodj.com/images/Numark_C ... _popup.jpg a cheap-ass thing I bought in a set with my CD players) only has a line input.

So I was wondering if the NI Audio 4 has preamps of its own or that I should buy an extra preamp or just a new mixer with phono and line inputs...

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:34 pm
Wipeout

Post Re: Traktor Vinyl preamp?
just change the input mode on your audio 4 from line in to phono

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 am
Junior

Tried to change Timecode CD / Line to Timecode vinyl and to Phono, neither of those work, he can't get it calibrated for some reason.

Btw the calibrate image is a black circle with yellow lines running diagonally over it, while those line should form circles right?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:25 am
Senior

Backflash wrote:
So I just bought myself 2 x JB Systems HQ 30 and I was planning to use these with Traktor scratch Duo but I just encountered the problem that the mixer I still have now (A Numark M1a http://www.agiprodj.com/images/Numark_C ... _popup.jpg a cheap-ass thing I bought in a set with my CD players) only has a line input.

So I was wondering if the NI Audio 4 has preamps of its own or that I should buy an extra preamp or just a new mixer with phono and line inputs...

If on any device is written 'phono', 'vinyl in', ... or something like that, it gives a direction that right after the input there will be a RIAA amplifier to correct the phono signal. If there is written 'line-in', than you can assume it is for cd, mp3 whatever things where no equalisation in necessary.

What happens is: if the timecode signal goes into the soundcard, it gets preamped and then translated into midi for you computer software. The software then outputs a sound signal. This sound signal comes out of your soundcard in the form of a line signal. So this will work for you input.

My TT's (Stanton Str-80) gave a line output, so the signal is preamped before even leaving the TT. What I had to do, to make traktor work is changeing a switch on the back of the TT to make the signal back phono again.

Now, for real -not timecoded- vinyl:
What you wont be able to do is use the 'hardware through' with real vinyl, cause you only have a line input. (This is the cable piece marked 'Mixer TT/CD')
What you will be able to do is use the 'software through' with real vinyl, cause that signal will get preamped by the soundcard. Than, via the software, it is the output signal that normally your mp3 would be. (This is the cable piece marked 'Mixer line-in')
This only is 'van toepassing' if you have oldskool vinyl offcourse.

subi-sub wrote:
my mom works their as a hooker :drunks:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:20 pm
Junior

hm awkward, then my traktor should work the way i have it set up right now

Turntables -> NI 4 Audio
NI 4 Audio -> line in on mixer & Usb to Pc
Though my traktor still can't get my vinyl records calibrated :/

The NI 4 Audio allso only lights the 1,2 and 3,4 Inputs, the outputs stay dark..

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:03 pm
Junior

Btw At my "input routing" in the settings menu, I don't get 4 Full blue signal bars, could that be the problem? I do noticed that the the output cables of the turntables don't give a full signal constantly, can I replace them?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Wipeout

http://traktorbible.com/en/tutorial5.aspx

check this site, maybe it can help you

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm
Junior

Hm yes, thanx Vice, i think i should get my RCA cables renewed, only problem is that i can't do that by myself --'

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm