| __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 am

Monitor position 
Junior

Post Monitor position
I've been reading up on monitors and I've been wondering, what's the best postion to place your monitors. I know that they have to be be placed in a triangle-ish way, but how should i place them to get the best sound recreation. Also, the bass-hole-things ( the hole in the back where the low basses poof out, can't really call it a woofer or anything can I? but you guys probably get what i mean :p) aren't pointing at a wall or anything, so the air that comes out of there just goes into the atmosphere, is this bad? should those holes be pointed at a wall? Also, are there things that I shouldn't do with them ( for example just listen to music or something :p), just want to keep 'em healthy. :D and one last thing, sometimes i get the impression that the signal coming out of the left monitor sounds louder than the the right one, does this have anything to do with the placement? the settings on the back (low-cut, mid EQ, etc.) are the same on both monitors.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 pm
BREAKZ.BE

Post Re: Monitor position
quick tips:
. never point woofers, large speakercones to a wall. The sound-reflections will distort the audio. You'll get artificial reverb (echo's and bouncing sounds).
. i listen a lot to music on my monitors to train my ears. mixing down on monitors is always very tricky since they have a flat response (all frequencies have the same volume) and you always tend to put more sub and bass in your mixes. Listening to how other well-mixed down tracks sound on your system, helps you to get the levels right. on the other hand: music doesn't sound that booming on moni's so when i want to relax or party on music, i'll use my stereo.
. placement is not so much an issue for near-field moni's since they are built to be set rather close to you. just make sure both speakers are directed to you and you are sitting in the center of their crossing directional lines.
. regarding the left-speaker that seems louder. it might be because it's closer to you, because your line-out of the pc boosts the left channel a bit, or your left ear is more sensitive than your right one.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Junior

preferable put diffusers right behind you. You don't want those reflections coming right back at you.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 am
Junior

to cjpa: my woofers are pointed to a wall :/ but there approx. 1,5 meters between the monitors and the wall, does this distort the sound? haven't really noticed anything though...

to RmoniK: pardon me for being such a noob, but what are diffusers :p i looked it up but only thing i got was someting on a forum for photoshop or something and I don't think that's what you're talking about :p

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 pm
Junior

Diffusers are surfaces that aren't flat, but have a very grillige vorm. (...) They have that shape so they can send the sound waves to every direction instead of just bouncing it back toward the speakers. (creating feedback and early reflectiony/delay-y reverb)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 pm
Junior

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Reco ... 004099-000

something like this?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm
BREAKZ.BE

1.5m still gives some reflections, but don't sweat it too much. when mixdown comes, you'll more than likely use various speakers and headphones to check. all is well if those reflections don't bother you while making music.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Junior

yep, i always switch between my monitors and headphones. when i finish something i check it on my housemates logitech computerspeakers as well. has served me well.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 pm