|___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Visual C++ 2008 express 
Senior

Post Visual C++ 2008 express
Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you can help me:

I need a program where I can easily make some small programs in C and after that C#, C++, Java, ... (for GUI)
Is this Visual C++ 2008 express a good program to do so? or isn't it possible to program C as well...
I allready have Eclipse for java, is it a good choice?
(are they all freeware? or just ** days trials)

And I'm still working with Windows, but Linux is on the way, is this going to be a problem to run these programs?
I'm probably going to buy me new pc so it would be nice if I install everything correct from the first time.

Thx in advance!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 pm
Senior

I also use eclipse for Java, easy and "overzichtelijk", and Visual C++ for C. Don't really remember if theyre freeware, as I get them from UGent and it could be I've got keys from them.
Java on Linux shouldn't be a problem, as Java runs on a "virtual machine". Don't know about C tho, haven't done much programming on that.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 pm

i use microsoft programs, but got all keys for free:-)

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
BREAKZ.BE

if you're going to do entry-level stuff in C, it doesn't matter which program you use to make your source, since you won't need elaborate gui's to help you code. I've always used a simple text-editor on linux, and compiled stuff commandline with 'gcc'.

On windows: Visual Studio is a very nice environment if you need Rapid Development stuff like: drawing your screens and attaching hooks to all the screen-widgets.

For java: Visual Studio works but Eclipse is more or less the industry standard - and it works on all major os's: linux, win, mac AND... it's free :D

I've also used Eclipse to do my c-programming by installing the CDC-plugins (they give access to an inline debugger and the kind). But you won't need all that stuff if you're just starting with programming. Keep it simple in the beginning! Notepad + some commandline compiler is all you need :D

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior

Eclipse is a very nice program indeed, used to write Java in Notepad & compile with 'javac', but this is a lot better :D

Visual C++ can do everything I need for now & it turned out to be freeware if you have a Microsoft account! The Rapid Development stuff will come in handy afterwards, looks realy sharp! :)

Thx for the fast replies!

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:22 pm