| __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:07 am

REASON 4 
www.drumnbass.be

Post REASON 4
For the fans, freaks, and ultimate propellerheads among us (as myself :D)

Reason 4 has entered beta testing fase, and already a lot is shown on the propellerhead site:
http://www.propellerheads.se/

just click on the first banner on top, you'll get a popup showing the new reason.
it's got a new synth, named THOR, using 6 different ways of synthesis (oscillating 6 times that is, in different ways and waveforms) and 4( :!: ) nice filters.

the audio examples already got me real curious about how this is gonna sound and already made me imagining the hours of sound building :D

also the sequencer has been thoroughly reviewed and updated (honestly i can say this is about the biggest relief yet, for me that is)
it now supports tempo track and time signature changes, it also supports odd time signatures (like 5/4 or 7/8 ...) way better than previous versions of reason (where the sequencer kinda keeped showing everything in 4/4 even while working 11/4 so you'd have to cut the events exactly the right length to get a visual idea of your present time sig)

i can write on and on, just see for yourself

if you've never been a reason fan, this won't probably really smack you in the face, but being quite a hardcore reason/rewire (ab)user i can tell ya i can not wait !

already signed up for beta testing too :D (haven't got any activation yet tho)

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. ~Mark Twain"

"Life is merely a dream - and not worth living unless you're living beyond your means. Well beyond your means ~some dodgy facebook app"

m.a.r.v.e.l.
Mailman's Advantageously Recorders Violinist's Exuding Looking

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:03 am
Untitled!

While I'm starting to dislike reason more and more and getting fond of Live 6 I must say the new sequencer is a serious step forward. Finally you can timestretch in reason itself. And since they've rebuild Reason from the ground up I hope they did something about the sound quality because that was rather poor.

Another thing I just don't get is why they don't support VST's. Every Reason user is screaming for it and still they ignore it. Yes you should rewire and yes I do this (only use Redrum these days anymore) but come'on. How hard can it be.

Here's a video of Thor in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfiK6SinXU

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:33 am
Profile WWW
excess

though they would integrate VST support? (i read it somewhere) stupid thing if they don't do it..

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 am
Senior

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:16 am
www.drumnbass.be

one of the great and foremost marketing points of Reason is it's enormous stability...

I don't know bout you, but in the 6 years i've been using reason, i can not recall a single moment reason crashed from itself. Which is a greeaat point if you're making music.

The reason why they absolutely are not wanting to add vst support is that it might seriously compromise the stability of the program. (on the other hand, i've always been thinkin of some kind of second Rack that works apart from the other one but which works like vsthost or something and which integrates in the sequencer ... but then again ... i'll probably won't be the only one with these kinda ideas :teeth: )
If you wanna use vst's, hook it up to a rewire host, works like a charm.

Soundquality also gets better just by rewiring it to cubase mixer channels since cubase has way better overall sound quality.

And the purpose of reason never has been to be a full standalone piece of software for professional usage and sound quality.
It's to get beginners quickly started, as well in terms of production as in terms of composition.
And to give a very quick access - composition/soundshaping tool to the more advanced user/musician/producer etc.
In which you supposedly will rewire it afterwards ...

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. ~Mark Twain"

"Life is merely a dream - and not worth living unless you're living beyond your means. Well beyond your means ~some dodgy facebook app"

m.a.r.v.e.l.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:44 am
Senior

what i don't really get about ppl speaking about reason saying it has a shitty sound , i know a lot of producers using it ... FX909, Alix Perez , Redeyes , Limewax , Tech itch ... and so on .. i guess ppl will allways speak hard of what they can't get running nicely ...

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:07 pm
Untitled!

what i don't really get about ppl speaking about reason saying it has a shitty sound , i know a lot of producers using it ... FX909, Alix Perez , Redeyes , Limewax , Tech itch ... and so on .. i guess ppl will allways speak hard of what they can't get running nicely ...

It's not a mather of running nicely mate. Everything Reason produces sounds rather grainy. I'm pretty sure they either rewire or bounce it to cubase/logic and get it through some plugins ...

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
gaz::mazk

signed up for beta as well and i honestly can't wait.

and second RDS here
even black eye peas are using reason. but the most remarkable are spl & technical itch, their sound is so deep. tza comes close but i believe he told me he switched to cubase for collaboration purposes.

yet, no tool comes as close as music making as reason. stability, flexible
and above all stable and fast(as a tool and as workflow).

whatever floats your boat, and i happen to like reason since version one, and i know why :)

beside that, i am very aware of rewire and thats exactly why they made it.
so it would be kinda stupid not to use it ;)

ez

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
www.drumnbass.be

mmzz yeah man, but as kastor says

that's all hooked to a rewire host man !
and afterwards (in most cases) mixed down through an analog table.

Not that i wanna say it sounds like crap, cause if you tweak it well it can sound very nice already. Just hosts like Logic, Sonar, Cubase, etc have way better ways for audio outputs (better programming ? algorythms ? ...) and thus have better quality sound output ...

+ when going around like that, you can route anything that comes straight out of reason to and through almost anything you have of compressing/eq'ing/reverbing/delaying whatver sort of plugin and even analog hardware if you have a soundcard with multiple outputs.

all those tweaks tend to colorize your sound optimally :)

m.a.r.v.e.l.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:26 pm
Senior

will ask FX and Redeyes but i'm pretty sure they aren't rewiring anything ...

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 pm

i haven't heard anything on their rewiring as well
when i was sending out demos to spl, tza, tech, etc we each time discussed what tools we used

most of the time i read "straight on reason"

one more reason producer : eveson

it's pretty clear, he uses samples straight from the package
but hey, use what u buy right :D

anyways ;)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
www.drumnbass.be

i haven't heard anything on their rewiring as well
when i was sending out demos to spl, tza, tech, etc we each time discussed what tools we used

most of the time i read "straight on reason"

one more reason producer : eveson

it's pretty clear, he uses samples straight from the package
but hey, use what u buy right :D

anyways ;)

isn't that high pitched percussion/blingy sample from Ska (zinc) just a reason sample too, you got from the first version on the factory sound bank as a rex loop :teeth:

Anyway if that's true :shock:

I just seem to find it rather hard to believe that they release tunes on vinyl of which the mastertape/cd/... is the wave file straight out of reason ...

I love every bit of the program, it's not that, just ... myeah dunno :?

m.a.r.v.e.l.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 pm

i had the most fun time ever since reason came out
this is a huge step forward

thor is a tad overwhelming i have to say
but dissecting the parts soon releaves the power of this thing.
crunchy basses is just a word

registered reason users (that applied for beta) can now download it.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:24 am
Profile WWW

the re-groove mixer is beyond everything...
sequencer has been improved alot, editing feels now like a program on its onw, it's rather advanced. esp with the patterns on. you also get a nice visual guidance where you both can see the velocity points , curves, notes etc.

you also now can arrange a batch of effects as a patch so you easily can make preset of certain effects / tricks, great for typical bass / drum sounds fe.

this counts aswell in the sequencer lane for your effects, you can group, drag/etc your effects in order to get that sought-after workflow you need to keep in the flow of your track (i mean, no one wants to spend hours getting a patch ready as with cubase or other tools) this is BIG. i tell you.

the razor tool/stretch tool in the sequencer is pure class,
only minor thing i feel now is the way to draw your sequencer lane (aka where you gonna edit) thats a bit of seek & curse but after a while you get the hang of it.

theres also a new dock tool so you can drag new instruments straight on the rack. there are devices / tools and grooves (stunning!)

only downpart still is that you are not able to make a sample pool (a folder with samples you can directly access to see if it fits the track)

the arpeggiator is dope too. not too complex and very easy to mod
plus!!!! this is rather incredible, it has its own midi lane so you can mod both the appregiator and the synth/sampler that feeds it. BOH

i can safely say AGAIN reason came up with one of the most advanced stuff out there. these guys did next level stuff since version one.

on the sound tip, again, do a search on Simon V's audio output resources
people who claim that the sound of reason is wack should look at the figures, reason comes out as one of the better ;) (this counts for the samplers though, but nevertheless)

also a few remarkable artists have contributed to thor/reason. such as plaid, daniel wang, two lone swordsmen, richard devine , tipper, etc
needless to say why this new version OWNS.

so i leave it up to the critics to claim reason sounds bad.
i rewired to cubase and got a nice -0.3db output(desk mixer limiters on), when i play straight from reason i have the same output,so it defo improved, i admit reason sounded a bit more quiet as other tools.

i loved it from the start and this is the best thing happening ever to reason
and nope, i am not sponsored. :]

other beta testers, feed me your eperiences, i am sure you are as impressed as i am.

back to work now.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 am
Profile WWW
www.drumnbass.be

have to say i was quite impressed with the looks and the sound of Thor :O

but haven't got enough time yet to really get into it.

thor = megabassmachine tho !!
i don't undertstand shit of that regroove mixer, but hey ...

m.a.r.v.e.l.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:41 am