| \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 am

Plot Spectrum 
Senior

Post Plot Spectrum
Hello

Can someone explain me a bit what you need to know if an mp3 you own is of high quality (320) by using the plot spectrum in Audacity?

I have various mp3s bought through different stores but some of them sound like they are from a lesser quality.

thanks!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Senior

Post Re: Plot Spectrum
if you have windows, you can just right click the file, select properties (eigenschappen), select details and you can read the it there (bitverwerkingssnelheid)

if that is what you mean

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 08/12 BTS @ bsg campus VUB
* 16/12 ID&N Bday bash @ Sioux Ghent
* 21/12 Steam - Decadance Ghent
* 28/01 TBA - CC Ter Dilft, Bornem
* 22/02 Steam xl - Decadance Ghent
* 24/02 Insiderz - Nijdrop, Opwijk
* 25/02 Basscannon - Joc Wijland, Puurs
* 10/03 Bombastic - Joc Wijland, Puurs
* 30/03 Republic - 't bau huis, Sint Niklaas
* ??/?? Square - Frontline Ghent

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 pm
Senior

higher_underground wrote:
if you have windows, you can just right click the file, select properties (eigenschappen), select details and you can read the it there (bitverwerkingssnelheid)

if that is what you mean

Well of course the id tag says 320 but when mixing with some tunes the gain volume has to go way higher to reach the same so i suppose lesser quality but i just want to check this with a spectrum like this one

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Senior

poepsnor wrote:
higher_underground wrote:

if that is what you mean

Well of course the id tag says 320 but when mixing with some tunes the gain volume has to go way higher to reach the same so i suppose lesser quality but i just want to check this with a spectrum like this one

no furthur comments :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 08/12 BTS @ bsg campus VUB
* 16/12 ID&N Bday bash @ Sioux Ghent
* 21/12 Steam - Decadance Ghent
* 28/01 TBA - CC Ter Dilft, Bornem
* 22/02 Steam xl - Decadance Ghent
* 24/02 Insiderz - Nijdrop, Opwijk
* 25/02 Basscannon - Joc Wijland, Puurs
* 10/03 Bombastic - Joc Wijland, Puurs
* 30/03 Republic - 't bau huis, Sint Niklaas
* ??/?? Square - Frontline Ghent

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:23 pm
Senior

I've noticed it along time ago. Now, what is an mp3? 0100000110000101100001110001010100 001111000110010011101010110100100001..... It is written in 0's and 1's, wich says that it is a coded tune. Wich can only be translated and played by an mp3 codec. The tunes are from the "highest" (for now) quality you can buy on itunes, beatport. etc... 320 kb of written bit-information per second. Now how big or small is that spectrum? Does it reach an higher or lower volume (dB). That is written in the mp3. Why you have to gain more or less. The quality is in some sort of the same unless it wasn't mastered so well (bad eq'ing, distortion). And probably not every producer uses the same mp3 converter.

How can you rewrite it? too difficult. If you are using traktor and or serato you can set and save the gain at right volume? I don't know, never didn't find how to do it... But traktor normally sets the volume of the mp3's at the same levels automatically. But doesn't work so good with dnb.
I rather have vinyl then mp3's because of this. I think it is more crap but cheaper and it still works. Mostly the largest group doesn't even notice only experienced listeners.

Last edited by SerialT on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 am
Senior

Image[/quote]

The frequency goes from left (low tone) to right (high tone). I can see a lower tone reach a higher volume (dB). This is only pure physics.

I don't know how to explain it but if you look how the spectrum is build up. You can see it is from good quality. Because of the smooth build up (you can still see the angles of the beams). And if you lower the bitcount per second, it would have got less and wider beams. And then you would have a lesser quality. And mathematically you can raise the quality eternally (adding more and smaller beams in the same space). But that would raise the bit-info per time-unit. Wich is unnecessary cause it is impossible to hear the difference.

Those beams are coördinated (frequency,volume). This data needs to be stored. The more beams, the more data, the bigger the file, the better the quality.

(Als je daar niet aan uitkomt. leg ik het volgende uit in het Nederlands. Uw y-coordinaten bepalen het totaal geluidsvolume van dat spectrum. Dit will zeggen wanneer uw oppervlakte van het spectrum kleiner word, uw geluidsvolume omlaag gaat. Dus elke frequency heeft een hoeveelheid geluid en het volledig spectrum, een totaal geluid. Dit hangt NIET samen met de kwaliteit van het liedje.)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 am
Senior

Clears up a bit but i think that image (which i randomly picked from the internet) is a sample or a recording from a instrument.

Going to educate myself in this one, crappy mp3s comparing with wavs or so.

Thanks for the good direction!

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
excess

:lol:

(this is lolling is not refering to the question ;) )

For as far I know it's not too clear from the spectrum if it's good or bad quality (for sure you can't tell it by being smooth or things like that.. well at least that's what _I_ think)

Maybe you can compare the freq analysis from a crappy (64 bit) with a 320 one (same song) and find out what's different..

And the volume is no worthy parameter to tell if an mp3 is good or bad quality

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm
Senior

Surak wrote:

For as far I know it's not too clear from the spectrum if it's good or bad quality (for sure you can't tell it by being smooth or things like that.. well at least that's what _I_ think)

Maybe you can compare the freq analysis from a crappy (64 bit) with a 320 one (same song) and find out what's different..

And the volume is no worthy parameter to tell if an mp3 is good or bad quality

Ok you can't be sure. True, but I presumed it was a 320 bit spectrum. I just tried to help in understanding how the graphic is build up mathmatically. If you determin the y-coordinates per 0,001 Hz then the graphic would be more smoother (connect the dots) and detailed. And the mp3 file would be much larger cause of every used coordinates within the spectrum. It would be a good quality soundfile. (Not practical of course)

And yes the volume is no worthy parameter in telling how the quality is. That is what I was trying to tell.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:46 pm
Senior

I think you're indeed confusing soundquality with sound volume (which is somewhere understandable), I've also noticed soundlevel differences in 320 mp3 files but just adjust it with the gains, then it should normaly sound quite equal without boosting your eq's, think for dj use this is a bit muggenziften :D

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Ghent Represent

Manik wrote:
I think you're indeed confusing soundquality with sound volume (which is somewhere understandable), I've also noticed soundlevel differences in 320 mp3 files but just adjust it with the gains, then it should normaly sound quite equal without boosting your eq's, think for dj use this is a bit muggenziften :D

Totally second this...

Besides, this is not only an MP3 issue... Its a vinyl issue too, I have many records that are louder or more silent than the others...

It all comes down to one thing: mastering.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
[MIX] Paranoized - The Last Breath: Here (Stream/download)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Senior

Paranoized wrote:
Besides, this is not only an MP3 issue... Its a vinyl issue too, I have many records that are louder or more silent than the others...

²
Really annoying though!

Don't they have any standards for this?

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:31 pm
Ghent Represent

profound wrote:
Paranoized wrote:

²
Really annoying though!

Don't they have any standards for this?

For movies you have the THX reference as a standard. If playback a THX certified movie on a THX certified receiver, and you set the volume to "0" (the reference level) this will produce 85dB SPL, the exact levels the filmmakers made it at. (Same goes for most movietheatres, btw)

For music... No... It all comes down to the masteringengineer's skills and equipment, generally theyll try to go as loud (produce as much dB SPL when set on "0") as possible (thats why your own made tunes sound horribly quite)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Core Frequency

Paranoized wrote:
For music... No... It all comes down to the masteringengineer's skills and equipment, generally theyll try to go as loud (produce as much dB SPL when set on "0") as possible (thats why your own made tunes sound horribly quite)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ghent Represent

Arac wrote:
Paranoized wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Exactly... Although one is more succesful in pushing the headroom than the other... (as in not totally ruining dynamics and sound)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 pm
Profile WWW