\_ |_________   ____ _____  |  | __________
 | __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 am

subwoofer 

Post subwoofer
I'm thinking about a subwoofer. However I have little experience with subwoofers.

I saw this one:
http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/sub-250-description/
~ €225

I already have jamo speakers (which I'm quite pleased of, excellent lasting sound quality) but missing that little extra punch
€ 225 is not cheap so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Any suggestion for other brands? What specs are important to look for when choosing a subwoofer?
The room I'll be using them in is relatively small, so it doesnt need masses of watts.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:23 pm
Kronik Flakez

Post Re: subwoofer
Loofke wrote:
I'm thinking about a subwoofer. However I have little experience with subwoofers.

I saw this one:
http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/sub-250-description/
~ €225

I already have jamo speakers (which I'm quite pleased of, excellent lasting sound quality) but missing that little extra punch
€ 225 is not cheap so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Any suggestion for other brands? What specs are important to look for when choosing a subwoofer?
The room I'll be using them in is relatively small, so it doesnt need masses of watts.

Think all specs you need are Power & it's frequency range.
think pretty much every half decent active sub has potmeters to define at what upper frequency you want it to kick in. If my Logitech gaming set subwoofer had one of those (and could kick at <40 Hz) it would be perfect as well I reckon :p

I think frequency range has most to do with the size of the actual woofer itself. Bigger ones can kick at lower frequencies without losing too much volume. (response is never really "flat" when you go to the lower limits of the sub)

I read from the specs page of that sub :
Frequency Range (Hz) 30 - 150

You want to make sure that your other monitor's low range limit is lower then 150 hz, so that you get an overlap. I think pretty much all studio monitors do this (unless you only got tweeters or some shit) so you should really only worry about the price & the size.

There ARE woofers that go all the way down to 20Hz. Guess it kind of depends what music you intend to make. Frequencies between 20&30 will not be heared (well...felt) when played on the sub you suggested. Maybe that is a factor to take into account.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
üntil we die

sounds ok imo...30 hz instead of 20 is not a big issue.i dont think many speakers reach this -inaudible- limit (except the valve sounsystem of course!)
the big quality factor about subs is the ability to 'punch kicks' instead of 'woofing' them, it depends of their filters and the size of the speaker. its someting to consider when building one, but for commercial ones, i suppose you just have to check and compare with others in a hi-fi shop...

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

aye if your other monitors don't go below 150 hz then I think you bought some crappy ones ^^ so thats no prob indeed

fair enough... thanks for the extra info - need to start saving some money now ^^

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:39 pm