\_ |_________   ____ _____  |  | __________
 | __ \_  __ \_/ __ \\__  \ |  |/ /\___   /
  | \_\ \  | \/\  ___/ / __ \|    <  /    / 
   |___  /__|    \___  >____  /__|_ \/_____ \
        \/            \/     \/     \/      \/

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:32 am

programming vst's 

Post programming vst's
Allrightie, one for the software wizzards amongst u. I'm planning to make some sort of easy-to use synth using labview. I can compile to either an exe file for stand- alone function, or to a dll to call it from other programs. Does anyone know what is needed programming-wise to make a regular dll. into a vst (or other) plugin? Another question: how do u "read" the note & velocity data send by a sequencer & how do you send the sound back to the sequencer program instead of straight to the soundcard output?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:53 am
Profile WWW
BREAKZ.BE

you'll need steinberg's vst-library: http://www.steinberg.de/Steinberg/Devel ... angue_ID=7

another idea is to check www.kvr-vst.com for opensource-plugins and learn from their sources.

If you happen to make something useful, please let us know. I'm curious about the amount of work needed to make a vst-plugin.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Thanks for the information, I will check it out when I can. I think the basics for a stand-alone sound generator/synth are quite easy in labview: set frequency, display it, ad it with other frequencies/harmonics, ... But no idea just yet how to turn it into a vst though...

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Junior

Post Re: programming vst's
djfreemc wrote:
Allrightie, one for the software wizzards amongst u. I'm planning to make some sort of easy-to use synth using labview. I can compile to either an exe file for stand- alone function, or to a dll to call it from other programs. Does anyone know what is needed programming-wise to make a regular dll. into a vst (or other) plugin? Another question: how do u "read" the note & velocity data send by a sequencer & how do you send the sound back to the sequencer program instead of straight to the soundcard output?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

i'm quite busy learning how to program vst/vsti myself so...

I don't understand why u wan't to use labview or how you're going to use labview (assuming ypu're talking about labvien from national instuments)

If you wan't to create a vst you need the VST SDK you can download it at steinberg. Basically the host (cubase) uses a class called AudioEffectX

the note and velocity thingie happenswith so called vst event or in this case VstMidiEvents wich is a type of an vstevent the jhost provides this.

links you might find interesting [url]emhain.wit.ie/~p02ac02/FinalReport.doc[/url]
http://users.etech.haw-hamburg.de/users/Fohl/wpp_ti/vstsdk2/vst%20plug-ins%20sdk%202.0.pdf

you can program vst in c++ or delphi. Don't knwo why you need Labview for only heard bad things about it. What kind of synth are you making
I am more busy with imaginary physical modelling stuff.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Yup, I'm talking National Instruments labview. Why I want to use it? because U can easily create & display frequency oscillators & send the output to the soundcard or a soundfile. Untill now I've only used it for more professional applications such as controlling test&measurement equipment though. Never had any negative experience with it on that part. I have noticed the steinberg SDK is based on C++, so not sure if my plan will work for making a VST out of it, gonna try the stand-alone first I think.

Just out of curiousity: which bad things did u hear about labview?

kind of synth?: Actually I was planning to do something like: set base frequency- add harmonics- set harmonics levels. And the more classic Attack- delay- sustain-release in the end of the chain. For me that would be more understandable than the analog modeling synth simulation kinda softsynths I think (dunno how other people would feel about this way of working). Second step would be to add FM modeling and volume LFO as "inputs" to the basic module.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Junior

Well i think it's not going to work creating a vst plug-in in Labview. The only SDK's I know of are the Steinberg VST SDK (c++) or the Delphi VST sdk 2.3.0 (Delphi) which you can download at http://www.axiworld.be/vst.html (Belgian site btw from a fruity developer).

Don't try to see the steinberg SDK based on C++. It is C++. They just supply you with the classes you need. And you have to figure out (with th help of some examples and a little bit of explanation) how everything works.

The stuff i heard about Labview is that it's very easy to make simple programs for simple testing but that it shouldn't be used for complex problems.

An "easy" way to get into sound programming would be to first writing a program in c++ that generates WAV or RAW or AIFF (whatever pleases you and then take a grip at the SDK's.

However if you just want to create your own vst synth in an user friendly environment you might consider downloading synthedit (http://www.synthedit.com/) just read the about.
There is also a thing called Csound (there's even a thing called VstCound) which is ideally for your kind of project.

If you wan't to program in Labview you better start to learn your Midi stuf and how to receive asynchronous serial data in Labview.
I learnt most of my Midi stuff from this site
http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/doc.html
by reading everything.

Is this a school project or a free-time thing?

What do you mean with "analog modeling synth simulation kinda softsynths" exactly?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Is this a school project or a free-time thing?

Since I graduated last June and am now working it's purely a free-time thing.

daemon wrote:
What do you mean with "analog modeling synth simulation kinda softsynths" exactly?

That most softsynths I've seen untill now try to be a copy/imitation of the vintage hardware synths in some way.

daemon wrote:
The stuff i heard about Labview is that it's very easy to make simple programs for simple testing but that it shouldn't be used for complex problems?

I've seen entire labs where all hardware can be controlled by just one click in labview, and I know the belgian army uses it for certain radar controls & wireless communication systems, guess it depends on what u call simple... It is mainly built for interfacing with hardware in a relatively easy way, & it's great in that. But it is a completely different approach than most other programming environments.

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Junior

Ok, it's getting a bit off-topic and I certainly don't want a fight with a fellow developer about a programming langauge. If you want to make an additive or a FM synth with adsr envelope labview probably will work fine. But if you wan't something that goes heavier on the cpu (and computer music can be quite heavy on cpu) I'd strongly advice ypu to go on something like c. Remember that labview is built for making it easy for engineers and scientists to get their test results.
Besides I find c more mentally challenging for me.
Good luck with your project.

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:33 pm
320DB

I since very recently use Synth Edit, you can download it at http://www.synthedit.com/
It's free to use!!!!!

It's a basic program for programming your synths
but most importantly: you can save your synths as VST's (if you put them in a container first)!!!!!!

I'm only just getting the hang of it, but in the future I'll try to share the synths that I create if you migth be interested
(also planning on programming VST's myself, but that won't be for this year probably)

greetz

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:31 am
Profile ICQ WWW
BREAKZ.BE

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Native Instruments Reactor yet?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Junior

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Native Instruments Reactor yet?

Because we're freaks who only like software if it's free and user unfriendly? (well, i'm only talking about myself right now).

Finished my synth in monosynth version right now, now i have to move to polysynth, then adsr, then maybe filters and a decent gui....

If i wasn't so lazy it should have been finished two weeks ago or something.

Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:48 am
320DB

From what I've heard it's a c++-alike language
but I don't know if it's hard to learn and what the possibilities are

greetz

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BREAKZ.BE

Seems it's a rather extensive c++-library to do audio-signal generation and routing. Too bad we can't use it on pc :/

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW